What a year – I had some major wake up calls and made some milestone decisions. It was a year filled with pleasant and unpleasant surprises.
I turned 25 (a quarter of a century old – aka, a huge milestone for me), adopted a deaf dog from South Korea which the dog itself is a work in progress, changed jobs, created lasting friendships but also rekindled old friendships too.
2019 was a year of self-realization and trying to figure out my future with where I want to be in life. It was the year where I decided not to continue pursuing a career in medicine. I was able to realize what made me happy and excited.
Amidst of trying to figure out “life” resulted in waves of feeling doubtful, lack of self-confidence, and fear of failing. This led to lack of accomplishments that I had set out to complete in the beginning of 2019. However, my self-discovery laid the foundation for winning at life and steps to succeeding my goals for 2020.
Needless to say, I have never been more excited for the new year. Now that 2020 is arriving, I’ve decided to share my New Year’s resolutions to keep myself accountable and be able to look back at what I have done.
New Year’s Resolutions
- Get the job of my dreams! Now that I know what makes me happy (art/design, science, research) I can finally work towards attaining a job that is fulfilling. There will be some bumps and rejections along the way but that’s just a process that everyone will go through.
- Fine-tuning my fitness routine. 2019 was a year of inconsistency. In certain weeks I would work out 2 to 3 times a week or 5 to 6 times a week. This year, I would like to workout 6 times a week with an active recovery day. Each time I stay active, I would ALWAYS feel more energetic, happier, and more productive.
- Eat more whole foods! I am guilty of binge-eating on junk food. I want to be more aware of what food goes into my mouth. Eating healthy and nutritious food makes me feel less bloated, less tired, and less irritated.
- Gain a following on social media. This has always been something I would like to accomplish for years now but haven’t been able to because of the fear of failing. 2020 will be the year where I work towards this goal in full force. This means that I have to be consistent with my postings and being active on social media.
- Broaden my financial portfolio. I am still learning to do the “adulting” thing and it has been difficult. In the long run, I want to be able to start a family, own a home, and have a good quality of life. I know that this will be a slow process but I need to be patient and know that these life goals are attainable.
- Work on time management. This has been an area that I have struggled the most. If I can successfully manage my time, I will be able to be more productive and accomplish more tasks and projects. Time is precious. As Ryan Serhant says, “You’re the CEO of your time.”
- Train my deaf puppy. The puppy has been a handful and continues to be as we go into the new year. Training a dog with a disability takes a lot of patience but I need to learn to not let my frustrations and anger take a pause. She continues to be a work in progress and I hope she will reward me one day as a fully potty-trained dog.
I am going to go into 2020 with an open heart, determination, and motivation. This will be the year where I tackle my fears and work towards projects that have been lingering for awhile. As Gary Vaynerchuk says, “Fear kills growth.” According to my horoscope for 2020, I need to make my own luck by working hard and actively shaping my future.
Let’s all start the new year right!